On 02-Jul-09 22:47, Matt Wozniski wrote:
> Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>> Matt Wozniski wrote:
>>> Maybe we could add
>>> a :msgonly modifier that behaves like :silent but does add to the
>>> message history?
>> The message history is to store displayed messages.  If a message isn't
>> displayed then it should not be in the history.
>>
>> If you want to log some things to see what your plugin is doing you can
>> use a global List and append to that.
>
> It just seems that it would be nicer if each plugin didn't need to
> roll its own ad-hoc logging solution.  When something goes wrong, a
> lot of experienced vim users will instinctively check :messages to see
> if an error managed to slip by them unnoticed, so the message history
> seems like an intuitive place to do logging.  It not only would save
> plugin authors the need to roll their own logging solution, but would
> save plugin users from having to learn which plugins do provide their
> own logging, and learning how to view the log for each.
>
> It's not something I feel terribly strongly about one way or the
> other, but I definitely think that extending the message history from
> it's current definition to "A list of messages that can give you
> insight about what happened recently" would be more useful.

I guessed you would want this for debugging / logging, though one has to
differentiate: If the plugin really needs to inform the user about something,
:echomsg fits perfectly, and the message should also be visible. If this is
internal, implementation-specific tracing stuff for debugging by plugin writers
or troubleshooting, this should normally be hidden from view.

For the latter purpose, I use :echomsg during development, and comment out
these
before moving the script into production. I know about Dr.Chip's Decho plugin,
which provides much more functionality in that area. Of course, as a plugin
author, I would love to have :tracemsg, :set trace=myscript,yourscript and :set
tracefile=/tmp/trace.log commands built-in. But I don't think these should be
combined into the :messages functionality.

-- just my two cents, ingo
--
   -- Ingo Karkat -- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- /^-- http://ingo-karkat.de/ --
   --      http://vim.sourceforge.net/account/profile.php?user_id=9713    --