On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM, Lech Lorens wrote:
> On 11-Apr-2010 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>>
>> Lech Lorens wrote:
>>
>> > While
>> > 10G
>> > does add to the jump list,
>> > :10
>> > does not.
>> >
>> > I believe that both the methods of moving from line to line should be
>> > consistent with regard to the jump list. This patch removes this
>> > inconsistency by making :10 update the jump list.
>> >
>> > Additionally, this patch fixes the problem described by Jean Johner in
>> > 5e8c1aa3-6f97-4d1e-ab09-c7e79a990...@q15g2000yqj.googlegroups.com (the
>> > current
>> > position is not added to the jump list when in insert mode <C-End> is
>> > pressed).
>> > An analogical situation takes place when <C-Home> is pressed in insert
>> > mode.
>> > This has also been taken care of.
>>
>> Did you verify that is compatible with vi?  Some of these
>> inconsistencies are "traditional".  Sometimes it's useful to offer two
>> ways to do the same thing, so that users and scripts can have the option
>> of setting the jump or not.
>
> I tried verifying it with vi which I got from http://ex-vi.sourceforge.net/.
> Either I am missing something or the original vi does not include a jump
> list implementation.
> Regarding making it possible not to change the jump list - I think the
> difference between 10G and :10 might indeed be desirable. In this case,
> however, do you think it would be a good idea to mention the difference
> in documentation? I attached a patch with a proposed modification.

I cast my vote for the behavior change instead...  vim has had
:keepjumps for a long time; I'd expect that scripters are going to
favor :keepjumps 10 over this undocumented "feature".  In general, I
don't think it's a good idea to keep vi compatibility when vim has an
indisputably better way to do the job.

~Matt