Hi list!

I wrote a plug-in that aims to improve the integration between Vim and its environment by providing functions to switch to full-screen, open URLs in the user's default web browser and execute external commands in the background without opening a command prompt window. A DLL is included to perform these things on Windows, while on UNIX external commands are used (such as wmctrl, gnome-open, kde-open, etc.)

I'm not sure yet how portable the included DLL file is between different types of Windows installations. You can find a first ZIP release of the plug-in on its Vim scripts page at http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3123

I'd be very grateful if some of you can test the plug-in by unpacking the ZIP release in your %USERPROFILE%\vimfiles or ~/.vim/ directory, restarting Vim and testing the three functions as follows:

1. Execute :call xolox#shell#openurl('http://www.vim.org/')

Does this open your preferred (or best available) web browser? On UNIX if $DISPLAY is empty the plug-in will switch to a command-line browser.

2. (Windows only) Execute :call xolox#shell#execute('notepad')

Does this start Notepad without blocking Vim's window and without opening a command prompt window to run the command?

3. In graphical Vim execute :call xolox#shell#fullscreen()

Is Vim's GUI window properly switched to full-screen mode? If so you can return to normal mode by calling the function again. If you're stuck in full-screen Vim, save your existing buffers and press `Alt-F4`, that should always work.

One last thing: I run Windows in a virtual machine which isn't exposed to the outside world much, however I don't have a virus scanner available and didn't check the freshly compiled DLL, so if you don't trust me feel free to scan it yourself before trying the plug-in :-)

Thanks for your time,

 - Peter Odding

* http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=3114