I don't know about anyone else, but I just use the built-in spam and message routing facilities within Thunderbird. The message routing stuff I use to direct any/all vim related activities to the vim folder and spam just gets put into the junk folder where I review everything. I am a member of spamcop because I run an e-mail server but I review each and every message before sending it to them. Vim mail has never been sent to spamcop. Most of my real spam is easy to find. It starts with bw...@sim1.us or a...@sim1.us or some other fictitious e-mail address. So that makes it really easy to tell. There is one add-on I used to use (but haven't for a while now). It used to use the blacklists. However, you can direct it to just put the spam in the junk folder and then you can check it there. Blacklists do help with spam but you also have to make sure that they, like anything else, aren't being abused. So when the bad guys grab your site's id and start doing something bad with it - you sometimes get caught in the middle ground. I have and it took a while to clear my site's name. But now better detections are showing the e-mail doesn't come from me. And I have no idea why they decided to even start using my site's id. They just did. So I fight back via Spamcop and, like I said, I am now a paid member.

Recently I upgraded my server from a desktop unit to a laptop unit to run the sites. I did this because the laptop has a built-in battery (so no more brown-out shutdowns of the system) and because the laptop has two cpus. In doing this I found out that someone had installed something that allowed spammers to use our system to redirect the e-mail out into the internet. I reset all of the ports so no one could send e-mail at all, waiting a while, and then began allowing e-mail to go again. This reset everything in the e-mail program and now I see hundreds of rejected attempts to redirect e-mail. I'm keeping a log so I can notify all of those people that their computers are sending spam. I've also notified the company (in South Africa called Capesoft) that there is a problem with their software. They are investigating to find out why it did this. So you have to be on the lookout for things happening when you are not expecting them to be happening. The e-mail server was running just fine. It was human error that didn't notice others were using the server to send out spam. (ie: My fault) At least I have corrected the problem.