Bram Moolenaar wrote:
Charles Campbell wrote:

I tried the following trick:

syn match texGreek '\\alpha\>' contained conceal cchar=á nextgroup=texGreek2
syn match texGreek2 '\\alpha\>' contained conceal cchar=á nextgroup=texGreek

So $\alpha\alpha$ has the first \alpha as texGreek, and the second one as texGreek2 . Unfortunately, although the syntax highlighting treated the two differently, the conceal code still merges the two, using only the one á instead of what I'd hoped (áá).

Makes sense.  We can get the ID of the syntax item, and use a change in
that as a signal to display the conceal character.
I have implemented that, please try it out and let us know.
If this doesn't work as intended, we should roll it back.

Soon we can't make incompatible changes, thus please let's figure out
how this should work very soon!

Hello, Bram!

I've attached a modified syntax/tex.vim which makes a start at supporting Greek, subscripts, and superscripts. Its not complete:

* I haven't supported a^{b*c} for example; I'll have to try making regions for superscripts and for subscripts. Probably I can do something about this. * Some symbols just aren't available via utf-8; for example, Euler's equation: e^{i \pi} = -1 ; there's no superscripted or subscripted Greek available. (AFAIK) * Subscripts are even more restrictive in utf-8; there's a good set of superscripted a-zA-W (missing the q and Q, though), but for scripts, only aeiou and 0-9 are available (again, AFAIK). * I haven't begun accent support; I think utf-8 does a very good job of supporting accented characters, and that's next on my expanding list of things to do for syntax/tex.vim

This trick doubles the amount of syntax rules, of course, so IMHO its not ideal, but its working! Thank you for the modification.

Regards,
Chip Campbell