Gary Johnson wrote:

> On 2010-07-22, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Jakson A. Aquino wrote:
> >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > I tested the conceal feature and noted that the concealed text of help
> > > files are "shown" in the cursor line (actually the character isn't
> > > visible since foreground and background colors are the same).
> > > Shouldn't the text be completely concealed since the buffer is
> > > nomodifiable? I'm using vim and vim-gtk:
> > >
> > > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3b BETA (2010 Jul 18, compiled Jul 22 2010 14:13:18)
> >
> > AFAIK, there's no such feature of 'conceal'.  (IIUC, The current line
> > won't be concealed regardless of the 'modifiable' setting.)  But, I'd
> > second a motion to add that.  It seems like it'd be useful.
>
> It would be nice.  As it is, many of the lines in help files
> jiggle back and forth as the cursor moves through them.  It's very
> distracting.  I would rather have the markup characters not
> concealed at all.

Yes, we were discussing that in another thread.

I thought of a solution, it's not completely finished yet:
- Add the 'concealcursor' option.  When on the cursor line is also
  concealed.  It would be set in help files.
- When moving the cursor around, the cursor line is always updated, also
  when moving horizontally.  The cursor position is then corrected while
  redrawing, which is where we know what is concealed.
- We probably should not conceal the cursor line in Insert mode.
  Possibly also not in Visual mode.
- When searching or moving around vertically the cursor will show up in
  the right place.
- When moving the cursor right-left it will "stick" in one position when
  going over concealed items.
- When copying a word that is not next to concealed text it should work
  OK.  When copying text just next to concealed text you don't know
  exactly what you will get.

Adding the 'concealcursor' option, with the short name 'cocu', makes the
short name for "conceallevel' a bit strange: 'conc'.  I think it's
better to rename it to 'cole'.

Vince, any remarks?

Perhaps 'concealcursor' should not be a boolean, but indicate the modes
in which it's OK to conceal the cursor line, thus "nv" would mean to
conceal the cursor line in Normal and Visual modes.  Makes it more
complicated to use though.

We need to decide about this really soon, otherwise the Vim 7.3 release
would be delayed.

--
Veni, Vidi, VW -- I came, I saw, I drove around in a little car.