On 2010-07-23, Mosh wrote:
> I noticed gmail folds large mail when  contiguous lines have same prefix.
>
> It would also work for:
> find . | vim -
> and vim could fold directories recursively by number of slashes?
>
> Then users dont have to figure out the complexities of folding mode setup?
> any ideas how to do it?

The way to implement such features is to use 'foldexpr'.  For your
'find' example, you could

    :set foldmethod=expr
    :set foldexpr=len(split(getline(v:lnum),'/'))

You could do something similar for the gmail example, setting
'foldexpr' to the number of leading >s in each line.

Putting the gmail folding code into a mail ftplugin would load and
execute it automatically for mail files.  Triggering folding
automatically for the 'find' case would be a little trickier, but
could be done by creating a new filetype "find", detecting that
filetype by searching the buffer for lines matching the pattern of a
path, and putting the folding code into a find.vim ftplugin.

HTH,
Gary