On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 19:33, James Vega <james...@jamessan.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Nikolai Weibull <n...@bitwi.se> wrote:

>> Sort of like a modeline?

> Sort of, except modelines can be at the top or the bottom of the file

And one could easily scan from the beginning or end of the file, sort
of like we already do for a modeline.

> and are processed after the buffer has been loaded.

Which I already noted should be processed before the buffer has been
loaded, at least for options that affect the fundamental processing of
the buffer, for example, 'fileencoding'.

> This would have to be part of the process of loading the buffer,

Not necessarily.

> which is why the places that do allow it require the information
> to be at the top of the file.

referring to HTML processors (which of course don’t have to respect
it).

Look, I never suggested that this was going to be easy, but there’s no
point in making it harder (by adding some separate control sequence).
Ruby already looks for the 'fileencoding' option in a Vim modeline
when trying to determine the encoding of a file.