Ingo Karkat wrote:
Granted, most filetypes do define custom highlighting via a
$VIMRUNTIME/syntax/<filetype>.vim script. But shouldn't the filetype completion
also take into account files from the ftplugin and syntax directories, too?
If I for example have a custom filetype "bullettext" that defines custom fold
and indent settings, but no highlighting, I would expect to have this filetype
included in the completion.

Like Ingo I have several custom file types under my ~/.vim/ directory that don't have an associated syntax script and visa versa.

Bram Molenaar wrote:
Aha, so the filetypes are found by looking in the syntax directory.
Well, the result is still a list of filetypes, although there can be a
few syntax files that are not a filetype (e.g. 2html.vim).  So do we let
the implementation details prevail?  Or stick to the intention?

If sticking to the intention doesn't involve too much code that would IMHO be preferable to the current implementation because of the reason given above.

Ideally file type completion would consider the base filenames of the Vim scripts in the system wide / user specific ftplugin / syntax / indent directories (and also their /after/ variants) but this might be too complex?

 - Peter Odding

PS. Thanks Dominique and Christian for the patches you've posted, I've always been annoyed that :setfiletype doesn't support completion :-)