Gary Johnson wrote:
I may have found a clue.  I started vim much as you did but with
'verbose' set to 9 and the output saved to a file.

    vim -u NONE -U NONE -i NONE -N -V9vimout -c 'let &rtp = $VIMRUNTIME
    | runtime! plugin/**/*.vim | edit http://www.vim.org/'

Before displaying the contents of the URL, Vim displayed this at the
bottom of the screen:

    :!elinks 'http://www.vim.org/' -source > '/tmp/vOjHkf8/0'
    "/tmp/vOjHkf8/0" 412L, 16869C
    /home/garyjohn
    Press ENTER or type command to continue

The log file 'vimout' also contained some commands related to
elinks.  So I wonder if there might be something wrong or just
different about your installation of elinks.  If you don't have
elinks, netrw might try to use some other program and there might be
a problem with it.

On this RHEL4 system, "which elinks" returns "/usr/bin/elinks" and
"elinks -version" returns "ELinks 0.9.2 - Text WWW browser".

Try that and let's see what you get.

Thanks to your hints I seem to have found the problem. On my system "elinks" doesn't exist so netrw tries "links", which does exist:

        $ which links
        /usr/bin/links
        $ man links # calls it links2

But with a twist (?):

        $ links http://www.vim.org/ -source | file -
        /dev/stdin: gzip compressed data, from Unix

After I realized that /usr/bin/links was the problem I switched to curl and now netrw works again, so I found a decent workaround:

vim -u NONE -U NONE -i NONE -Nc 'let &rtp = $VIMRUNTIME | let g:netrw_http_cmd="curl" | let g:netrw_http_xcmd="-o" | runtime! plugin/**/*.vim | set more | edit http://www.vim.org/'

In case anyone else out there has this problem: I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 and using the above two :let commands (which I can add to my ~/.vimrc script) the netrw plug-in works again.

Cheers,

 - Peter Odding