Hi Adam,

Awesome, Peter!

Did this ever make it upstream? I've been a big fan of conceal with
other languages (HTML, LaTeX), it would be great to get this patched
into Vim proper.

Sorry for taking a while to respond. No I never specifically submitted the syntax script for inclusion anywhere, because there was already a Markdown syntax script in the Vim runtime files and back then I didn't start with that script, I wrote my own.

However I've now created a fork of the official Markdown syntax script and applied the needed changes to that script. The fork is available at https://github.com/xolox/vim-markdown and I've submitted a pull request at https://github.com/tpope/vim-markdown/pull/9 so that the changes may eventually make it upstream.

However I'm not sure if Tim Pope will like my changes because I tried to preserve compatibility with Vim 7.2 (without the conceal feature) and this results in a lot of code duplication.

 - Peter