Hi all,

I'm enhancing the syntax/markdown.vim script [1] to support the new text concealing feature introduced in Vim 7.3. Amongst other things the new syntax script uses the cchar= option to render list bullets with a proper Unicode bullet character and common HTML entities as the characters they represent.

Before my changes the markdown syntax script highlighted list bullets and HTML entities with distinct styles, however I cannot seem to reproduce this result using the new concealing feature...

The styles I link to the syntax patterns are only used when concealing is not in effect, and when concealing is in effect the style of the Conceal group is used. Of course I can change the highlighting style of the Conceal group but it will be the same whether concealing is being applied to a list bullet or an HTML entity.

I get the impression that this is intentional, which would be a shame because it limits the usefulness of text concealing... Is there any way to achieve the effect I'm looking for?

Thanks for reading!

 - Peter

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/vim_dev/browse_frm/thread/eb05308417b17a5b/7a876cab0627f699