This is my message you've been looking for:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/vim_dev/Ruby$20abort$20vim$20marc/vim_dev/irITPpKnTP8/Osl0AHJUH60J

You're looking for PySetInterrupt();

For ruby there is an equivalent.

Fixing it would require diving into the signal handling, and I didn't
understand it - either it has to be refactored and defined well when
what should happen or ...

If you'd like to collaborate on fixing this let me know.

For me alone it'll be too much work. Who else would love to join and
help fixing this?

The main problem is that everything is based on a huge hack:
gui_process_events which gets called even when viml is running, so that
ctrl-c can be "looked ahead" and viml can be aborted.
This gui_process_events like functions has side effects which I think it
should not have, see thread linked above about resize which is not used
often enough to really care about.

Which is the corret way to fix this? Have a separate gtk thread which
gets keyboard input, processes it, and when finding a ctrl-c sets
PySetInterrupt causing python to stop (running in a different thread).

And that's where/why I stopped - I had the feeling that fixing this
would require adding multi threading support or such - thus rewriting
much gui code. I personally think its the future - but I cannot do it
alone. Does anybody have different views / ideas / solutions ?

Marc Weber