@Bram

I often just open GVim (Windows 7, 64 bit) w/o any file name. As I always use
the OLE version of GVim, and only want/need one incarnation of GVim - so I have
to start GVim with '--remote-silent ""', resulting in the above mentioned error
message; omitting the '""' ('--remote-silent') produces a syntax error message.

This behavior could certainly be circumvented with a script, checking for the
GVim process or using gvim --serverlist (as it was proposed in another thread),

but

from my point of view - it would make more sense to have GVim accept the same
major switches and arguments, independent of its invocation method ('--remote'
or not), which is currently not the case. E.g. the following two invocations of
GVim behave differently:

   gvim +:5 --remote-silent snort.min
   gvim +:5                 snort.min