On Friday, July 11, 2014 11:35:24 PM UTC+2, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Bruno Sutic wrote:
>

> > I got really excited about one discovery, so I'd like to start a
>
> > discussion and see if there is a possible fit into vim's feature
>
> > roadmap.
>

> > So, apparently all modern terminals have a feature to tell programs
>
> > when something is pasted.
>
> > Terminal does this by wrapping the paste content with sequences
>
> > \e[200~ and \e[201~.
>

> > Because of this, terminal programs (specifically vim) *could* tell a
>
> > difference when something is typed vs pasted.  This is nicely
>
> > explained in the blog article here:
>
> > http://cirw.in/blog/bracketed-paste
>

> > And this is not just theory - the same guy wrote a small plugin that
>
> > enables this for vim, link:
>
> > https://github.com/ConradIrwin/vim-bracketed-paste  (it's less than 30
>
> > lines of viml)
>

> > I tried the plugin and it works great! (I'm on OS X, Terminal.app)
>
> > The punch line is: as a terminal vim user, I don't have to use `:set
>
> > paste` ever again!
>

> > Now, what do you think: does this feature belong in the "plugin
>
> > domain" or should it eventually be part of vim?
>

> > I'm just a user, so I couldn't help with any of that, but I like the
>
> > feature so much - maybe my enthusiasm will infect someone else! :)
>

> Sounds useful.
>

> Since what version of xterm and screen is this supported?  I suspect
>
> older versions do not support it.
>

> --
>
> BEDEVERE: Look!  It's the old man from scene 24 - what's he Doing here?
>
> ARTHUR:   He is the keeper of the Bridge.  He asks each traveler five
>
>           questions ...
>
> GALAHAD:  Three questions.
>
>                  "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" PYTHON (MONTY) PICTURES LTD
>

>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- b...@moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
>
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
>
> \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
>
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

Hi Bram,
glad you think it's useful.

So I just googled it:
it turns out this is available in xterm for years. Here's the blog post from
2009 showing how to make it work with vim and xterm:
http://help.lockergnome.com/linux/Bug-504244-Vim-script-turn-xterm-bracketed-paste-mode--ftopict511918.html
I found other online resources mentioning this in 2010, 2011. But the above
link is the earliest.

About screen - here's the patch from March 2013, so I guess it's been added
there just recently:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/screen-devel/2013-03/msg00000.html