On Sunday, July 13, 2014 2:20:04 PM UTC-7, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Jacob Niehus wrote:
>

> > On Sunday, July 6, 2014 5:23:39 PM UTC-7, Jacob Niehus wrote:
>
> > > After patch 7.4.314, I've had characters that I hadn't typed stay on
> > > screen even though they aren't really there and they go away after
> > > exiting insert mode. I am using NeoComplete in Vim 7.4 with patches
> > > 1-347. The attached patch fixes the problem without affecting the feature
> > > introduced in patch 7.4.314. See also attached screenshots showing the
> > > current line in insert mode and then the same line after pressing escape.
> > > That problem happens in the current version of Vim but not after my
> > > change.
>

> > > I am seeing this problem in Cygwin (Windows 7) in both mintty and XTerm.
> > > My Cygwin version is:
>
> > > CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 1.7.30(0.272/5/3) 2014-05-23 10:36
>

> > > Here is my Vim version information:
>
> [...]
>

> > Bram,
>

> > On further thought I don't think this patch should be included. It's a
>
> > bad workaround and I have seen the completion messages pop up
>
> > occasionally since using it. I'll try and find a better solution.
>

> It was already included as patch 7.4.357.  I suppose it's not necessary
>
> to roll it back.  But if you have a better solution that is welcome.
>

> --
>
> Close your shells, or I'll kill -9 you
>
> Tomorrow I'll quota you
>
> Remember the disks'll always be full
>
> And then while I'm away
>
> I'll write ~ everyday
>
> And I'll send-pr all my buggings to you.
>
>     [ CVS log "Beatles style" for FreeBSD ports/INDEX, Satoshi Asami ]
>

>  /// Bram Moolenaar -- b...@moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
>
> ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
>
> \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
>
>  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

Bram,

I've come up with two ways to fix it, but I'm not sure either is acceptable.
When I submit this patch, I will roll back the change because Shougo wrote that
the way he did to prevent "-- INSERT --" from flickering during completion,
which my change broken.

I think the problem is that the ins_compl_delete() function calls
changed_cline_bef_curs(), but the line is also changed after the cursor because
that's where the completion candidate was, so it's getting left there. Actually
even exiting insert mode does not clear the remaining characters - that only
worked because I had 'set cursorline' on InsertLeave. I can redraw the line
using update_screen(CLEAR) or screen_fill(), and the latter is probably faster,
but is there a more straightforward way of redrawing the portion of the line
after the cursor that I haven't found? If not, I'll submit a patch using
screen_fill.

Thanks,
Jake