Comment #9 on issue 231 by johnston...@gmail.com: netrw silently closing buffers on its own

Hi, thanks again for the response. You are right... the steps you describe will not reproduce the problem. This is definitely a finicky issue. I just spent some time trying to nail this down, and some of the scenarios I tried that I expected to reproduce the problem, and on occasion I have seen reproduce the problem, did not. However, I believe I've identified a series of steps that will reliably recreate the issue in a much simpler scenario than I'd seen before.

With the same setup as you describe:
set nocp
so $HOME/.vim/plugin/netrwPlugin.vim

Starting macvim with the following command:
$ mvim -u netrw.vimrc --noplugins

It's seems as though it simply requires opening three files as follows:
:e scp://hostname/vimtest/dir1/file1a.txt
:ls     <-- shows one file (file1a.txt)
:Ex
[select and open file1b.txt]
:ls     <-- shows two files (file1a.txt, file1b.txt)
:Ex
[select and open file1c.txt]
:ls     <-- ERROR, shows two files (file1a.txt, file1c.txt)

The above steps seem to reliably reproduce the issue. As an additional data point, the following DOES NOT reproduce the issue:

:e scp://hostname/vimtest/dir1/file1a.txt
:e scp://hostname/vimtest/dir1/file1b.txt
:e scp://hostname/vimtest/dir1/file1c.txt
:ls <-- NO ERROR, shows all three files as expected (file1a.txt, file1b.txt, file1c.txt)

Hopefully the above will help you identify the problem.

Thanks,
Lance