On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Benjamin Fritz <fritzophre...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 6:08 AM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net>
> wrote:
> >

> > Ben Fritz wrote:

> than it
> > >
> > > Is it? This page makes it sound like "blowfish" was pretty much
> completely
> > > broken if you knew any of the plaintext:
> https://dgl.cx/2014/10/vim-blowfish
> >
> > Your definition of broken is wrong.  Broken means it doesn't work at
> > all.  e.g., Vim crashes when using it, or when decrypting you can't get
> > back the original text.  When do you call a car broken?  When you can't
> > drive.  Not when you can't open the window.
> >

> I call something "broken" when it cannot serve its intended purpose.
> Cryptography's purpose is to keep data secret.

The purpose of *Vim*'s cryptography, as Bram is trying to stress and nobody
seems to ever internalize, is to keep data secret from neighbors and family
members, i.e., people not sophisticated enough or motivated enough to e.g.,
realize that it's VimCrypt, find that webpage, know what a perl script is,
know how to apply it, etc.  It is pretty clearly implied in ":h encrypt"
that the purpose of Vim's encryption is not to keep data secret from people
who even partly know what they're doing.

For this purpose, it works.

But really: it shouldn't be Vim's job to encrypt files on disk anymore than
it's Vim's job to do compression and decompression.  There are plugins to
use GPG transparently like there are for compressing and decompressing
transparently.

-Manny