* Ben Fritz <fritzophre...@gmail.com> [160826 18:05]:
> Well, here's the sort of thing I worry about the most far most users:

> http://usevim.com/2013/11/27/password-manager/
> https://invert.svbtle.com/using-vim-as-a-password-manager
> https://stelfox.net/blog/2013/11/using-vim-as-your-password-manager/
> http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Keep_passwords_in_encrypted_file
>
> And then of course somebody could get the bright idea of encrypting a
> 20GB CSV file of medical data to put on a flash drive or something.
>
> I'd hope dissidents and the like use tools more designed for the task already.

I'm not sure whether you are agreeing or disagreeing with me.  Here is a
summary of my POV:

• The encryption algorithm used by Vim used to be considered strong, but
  is now considered weak.
• Newer, stronger encryption should be added to Vim.  (Hopefully with a
  well thought out plan that allows adding new encryption algorithms
  without recompiling Vim.)
• Removing Vim's existing encryption does not help users who currently
  use it, even though it is weak.

If you are simply pointing out that some people believe Vim is the right
tool for some cryptographic applications, I certainly agree with that.

If you are saying that we should remove Vim's current algorithm because
some people are using it without realizing that it is no longer
considered as strong as it use to be, I strongly disagree.  The help
file should document this concern, and if the script and blog authors
wish to make it more obvious to users, that is good, too.

My soapbox statement really boils down to two points:

• Known-weak encryption has valid uses.
• The idea that an encryption algorithm that used to be considered
  strong must always be removed soon after it is decided that it is weak
  is wrong.

The second point is, in my opinion, especially true in the case of Vim
at the moment, because there is no alternative.  However, even when a
better algorithm is added to Vim, there are bound to be many files out
there that are already encrypted using the older algorithm.  We should
not require users to keep an old version of Vim just to be able to read
those files.

Bugs in Vim's encryption algorithms should, of course, be fixed if
possible, but not in a way that prevents access to older encrypted data
files.  That includes keeping, for a significant amount of time (two
years? I'm not sure how long), the ability to write files that can be
read by older versions of Vim.  Requiring a confirmation when using a
deprecated algorithm is certainly reasonable.

...Marvin