> A 2016-10-04T22:49:10 +0200, Bram Moolenaar escreveu:
> >
> > João Miguel wrote:
> >
> > > While I thought "-" was an option, it actually isn't (see
> > > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2016-10/msg00002.html
> ).
> (...)
> >
> > If "vim -- -" reads from stdin, then how do you edit a file name "-"?
> > The current behavior is needed for that.
> That's what I thought, it was a bug in the coreutils ("cat -- -" does
> the same as "cat -"). But no, POSIX specifies this precisely (- should
> be consistent). To open a file named "-", use "vim ./-", the same way
> you would use "cat ./-" to dump a file's contents to stdout, or "vim
> ../-" to open a file named "-" in the directory above.
>
> The point is, "-" is specified not to be an option by POSIX. If you used
> getopt, making it an option would actually be impossible (by design). As
> appealing as it may sound, "vim -- -" should therefore *not* have the
> effect of "vim ./-" - also note the latter is 1 character shorter.

According to another part of the same document that the coreutils dev
referred to in reply to your another bug report to bug-coreutils, namely,
the subsection OPERANDS of 1.4 Utility Description Defaults,
http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap01.html,
they say:

> If an operand naming a file can be specified as '-', which means to use
the standard input instead of a named file, this is explicitly stated in
this section.

where, judging from the context around the sentence there, "this section"
stands for a section called OPERANDS.

Meanwhile, Vim explicitly states it in the section of OPTIONS of vim(1)
like this:

> --          Denotes the end of the options.  Arguments after this  will
be  handled  as  a  file  name.  This can be used to edit a filename that
starts with a '-'.

True, there's an obvious difference in section names to have used.  Apart
from that, Vim seemingly complies with the standard in an allowable
deviation, IMHO.

Best,
Kazunobu Kuriyama