I don't know exactly when this appeared but gvim 8.0.0040 (Huge, GTK3,
Linux64) is affected.

After ":set cmdheight=2" the command -line height (between the bottom
statusline and the bottom of the Vim GUI) is still only one line, and
after ":xa | wv", which generates two lines of output, I get a
hit-enter prompt; yet ":set cmdheight?" answers "  cmdheight=2".

Best regards,