On Mo, 16 Apr 2018, Mike Williams wrote:

> My experience with a transition period moving to Visual Studio 2015 from
> earlier versions is that the biggest issue is allowing variable declarations
> to be declared anywhere within a block - it is very easy to do.  If anyone
> is still using older versions this could become a regular bump in the
> development road like not casting the result of STRLEN() to an int where
> needed.
>
> Designated initializers and very large arrays are concious changes in
> developer habits so will be less likely if they are to be precluded for
> backward MSVC support.
>
> Perhaps the release of 8.2/9.0 could be a red flag event to only support
> VS2015 and later.
>
> My 2ps worth to the debate.

Perhaps we should include a certain test within the current code base to
see if someone complains. I know the git developers included such a test
balloon some time ago:
https://public-inbox.org/git/20170710070342.txmlwwq6gvjkw...@sigill.intra.peff.net/

We could use something similar to get an indication, what can be used
without hassle.

Best,
Christian
--