Jason Franklin wrote:

> I was a little confused by this patch, and I was hoping you'd enlighten me.
>
> 1. I see that the error messages from the test don't show up when I restored
> 'modifiable' in the original patch.  So I didn't see them while working.
>
> 2. They also go away when using ":setlocal" instead of ":set", as you did.
>
> This seems weird to me, and I'm not exactly sure why this works.  Since
> 'modifiable' is always local to the buffer, shouldn't ":set" work just as
> well?  I'm just having trouble making sense of your commit message.
>
> I'm puzzled.

What happened is that I removed restoring 'modified', ran the tests and
it looked OK.  But then CI failed.  But without an actual error message.
I then figured that what happens is that because 'modified' is off in
testdir/messages, the test script is unable to tell us what went wrong.

The obvious mistake was to use "set" instead of "setlocal".  Your
original change worked around that be resetting 'modified', which also
resets the global (default) value.  This is the value picked up by new
buffers, thus the global value for the local option.

--
Why is it called "Windows"?  "Gates" would be more appropriate...