On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Bram Moolenaar <b...@moolenaar.net> wrote:

> Tony wrote:
>
>> When typing ":marks" in a file with long lines, I notice that the text
>> of the marked lines is truncated after a number of _bytes_ (including
>> line number etc.) equal to the 'columns' setting; in partly non-ASCII
>> text (and for example in my Russian dictionary mixing Russian
>> (Cyrillic) and French (Latin) text with occasionally UTF-8 punctuation
>> marks like em-dash or horizontal ellipsis) this gives marked text of
>> apparently fluctuating width, because the "column" (i.e. byte number)
>> differs from the "virtual column" (i.e. screen cell number) in
>> function of the number of non-ASCII characters (each "trailer byte"
>> 0x80..0xBF in their UTF-8 representation shortens by one column the
>> length of the displayed text). I didn't check what happens if the
>> concerned text includes hard tabs, which may _increase_ the screen
>> cell number by respect to the byte number.
>>
>> Seen in Big gvim 8.1.164 with GTK2 GUI, not tested in other builds.
>>
>> Bug or feature?
>
> I cannot reproduc it.  If I add multi-byte character in a line and type
> ":marks", the mark for that line spans almost to the rightmost column.
> It appears to be counting screen cells, not bytes.
> It could be related to ambiguous width perhaps?  Try changing the
> 'ambiwidth' option.

'ambiwidth' is set to its default of "single" and I use no CJK
characters; I think there are no ambiguous-width characters either;
but I have a lot of Cyrillic text (this is a Russian-French
dictionary, after all) and the problem is most apparent with marks in
column 1 (and, of course, on lines that exceed the screen width). See
for instance one of my pages, not too long but with some long lines:
http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/slovarj/ru-fr.06.html — try
setting marks a, b, c, etc. at far left of some lines that exceed your
screen width, then see what ":marks" displays. Most lines start with

Best regards,
Tony.