Hi,

---
> With this approach, the user doesn't have to pick a unique sign
> identifier.
> But this will be different from the current ":sign place" command
> where the user specifies the identifier. Does any of the plugins
> rely on the sign using a specific identifier?

In my plugins, I start using identifiers at a some random value (like 27000 or
whatever), and then I increment.
IOW, having an id automatically attributed is perfect with me.

Actually, the steps in my scenarios [1] are:

- clear all the signs (associated to my plugin) in all buffers
- add these batch of signs (to possibly several buffers)

If there was a notion of sign-group, it would be even more simple for me. The
scenarios would become

  :if !exists('s:my_plugin_sign_grp ')
      :let s:my_plugin_sign_grp = new_sign_group('my_unique_plugin_identifier')
  :endif

  :fucntion s:some_function() abort
      :call clear_signs(s:my_plugin_sign_grp)
      :call add_signs(s:my_plugin_sign_grp, [ {sign_defs}... ])
  :endfunction

The advantage of such a solution, from a vim script point of view, is that I
could expect more performances to clear or add thousand of signs at once (signs
would come from errors in the qf window)

If I was writing a UI for debugger, I would need more precise control to add
and remove breakpoints -- here performances don't really matter

[1] in https://github.com/LucHermitte/vim-compil-hints

--
Luc Hermitte