On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 4:09 PM tooth pik <toothp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> some months ago i managed to break gvim messing around doing i wish i
> remembered what, probably something to do with getting nvidia drivers to work
> on my system
>
> for me vim no longer builds with X11, vim builds fine but no gui
>
> is there somewhere a list of packages required for X11 to successfully link
> into vim?  my system (currently opensuse 15.4, gtk3, kde) shows X11 as fine
> itself, everything else seems fine, even the nvidia drivers are working up to
> snuff
>
> all myconfig will tell me is it can't find X11
>
> any help will be appreciated
>
> tia
>
> toothpik

That's strange. On openSUSE Tumbleweed I can build the following
versions of Vim with no problem:
9.0.1633 (Huge or Normal) with GTK3 GUI
9.0.1633 (Tiny) with Motif GUI or with no GUI

Failure to build is usually due to a missing "development" package. I
suggest to use the YaST "System Management" subsystem to search for
the following packages, and install them if they aren't yet:
• libX11-devel
• gtk3-devel
• any additional packages suggested by YaST to make them work
Without the former you can't compile for X11; without the latter you
can't compile for GTK3 though you might be able to compile for another
GUI such as (for example) Motif.

If you still can't compile gvim with "make reconfig" (and the
appropriate environmrnt variables) once these packages are installed,
please come back here, pasting into your email the exact error
messages as printed by configure.

FYI, here is how I configure my "huge but not maximum" gvim by means
of environment variables; this allows me to leave the Makefile and the
src/Makefile unchanged from the Vim distribution. If you want to use
this script, you will have to edit it, at least to replace my name by
yours, and possibly to add or remove some configuration settings (for
the environment variable names, see the first part of the
src/Makefile):

# configuration settings for Vim
# this script is to be sourced (not executed) by the bash shell
# which is going to "make" Vim in the src directory
export CONF_OPT_GUI='--enable-gui=gtk3'
# the multibyte feature itself (+multi_byte) is now always enabled
export CONF_OPT_TERMINAL='--disable-terminal'
export CONF_OPT_AUTOSERVE='--enable-autoservername'
export CONF_OPT_FEAT='--with-features=huge'
export CONF_OPT_COMPBY='"--with-compiledby=antoine.mechely...@gmail.com"'

Best regards,
Tony.