On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 at 15:21, Ernie Rael <err...@raelity.com> wrote:

> On 23/08/24 9:10 PM, Doug Kearns wrote:
>
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2023 at 13:18, Yegappan Lakshmanan <yegapp...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The following item is in the todo.txt file for implementing private
>> methods in a class:
>>
>>  - Private methods?
>>         either: private def Func()
>>             or: def _Func()
>>     Perhaps use "private" keyword instead of "_" prefix?
>>
>> Function and method names always start with an uppercase letter.  So
>> if we use the
>> "_" prefix for a private method name then it will diverge from that. So I
>> have
>> implemented this using the "private" keyword.
>>
>> Any opinions?
>>

> Thanks very much for keeping the ball rolling on this.
>
> For others, there was some previous discussion[1] about it on the list
> when Bram asked for opinions.  My recollection is that both you and he were
> in favour of the "_" prefix for call-site identification purposes?
>
> My personal preference would be for the modifier keyword with a symmetric,
> even if possibly redundant, "public".
>
> Is it only redundant, or is there some semantic meaning or change?
> Referring only to functions?

It's redundant if there's no 'readonly' access.  It's common for languages
to include an access modifier keyword for the default case so I'd prefer
there was a modifier keyword for 'readonly' as well if that's the default.

However, I'd be inclined not to offer a default.  I don't find declaration
keywords to be a burden.

Regards,
Doug