On 2023-10-01, Restorer wrote:
>     Perhaps future codes can and should be grouped?
>
> The question is by what principle to group the messages.
> Is it worth making groups for each Vim command (function). Or should they be
> grouped by data types, or by Vim modes?
> In my opinion, a good starting point would be the features available in the
> editor combined with the already existing categorization for built-in
> functions.
> But whichever variant is adopted, there should necessarily be separate groups,
> it seems to me, for cases that don't fall under any of the criteria (and there
> are and will be such messages) and a group for internal Vim errors.

I like your proposals so far, but I don't think this really matters.

Since we have one central repository for the code, I don't think
there's much chance of two committers using the same code, and if
they do, it's easy to fix.  The error codes themselves have never
conveyed any information that I know of.  All the information has
been in the error message.  And when that's not enough, there is
:help on the error code.

As you have discovered, it isn't easy to come up with a consistent,
meaningful scheme for assigning numbers, either.  And if some block
of error codes is ever filled, you're back to choosing a next code
that doesn't follow that scheme.

Regards,
Gary