On 25 Mar 2010, at 18:10, Peter Palmreuther wrote:
I don't know about OS X < 10.6, but over here 'man open' gives

[...]
    -W  Causes open to wait until the applications it opens
        (or that were already open) have exited. [...]

And 'open -a MacVim -W file.txt' in fact gives focus to running MacVim
instance and opens 'file.txt' in a new tab. After quitting MacVim terminal
(iTerm) prompt returns to 'input state'.

That's not making any statement about "focus returning", sure.

Having MacVim opened ':!open -a TextEdit -W %' opens current file in TextEdit and waits until TextEdit is closed. Sure, this example is quiet silly, but for
demonstration purposes it seemed to be good enough to me :-)

Nice!  That's exactly what I'm after.

I thought I knew how `open` worked: next time I'll be sure to check the man page.

Thanks and regards,

Andy Stewart
------
http://airbladesoftware.com