Hello,

On 16 May 2010, at 17:10, David Reed wrote:
> I want to start writing html more efficiently but am having problems
> understanding how to get started.  I see that Mac comes with a vim package
> already installed with many plugins. Under ftplugin I see html.vim and I have
> tried to decipher it, but with no luck.
> It appears it is able to do things like tag complete, so if I type <html> a
> closing </html> automatically is written.

I'm not familiar with the html.vim ftplugin...but I do recommend the vim-ragtag
plugin.

    http://github.com/tpope/vim-ragtag

This gives you really good tag completion.

> I also wanted to ask how to generate a macro that will automatically generate
> all the basic tags for an html page if I create a brand new html file.

Put something like this in your .vimrc:

    :autocmd BufNewFile *.html  0r /path/to/your/html_template.html

This tells Vim to read the file html_template.html into the buffer whenever you
make a new HTML file.  See `:help template` for a little more information.

Regards,
Andy Stewart

-------
http://airbladesoftware.com