Björn Winckler wrote:

> On 14 August 2010 22:07, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> > Björn Winckler wrote:

> >> I sincerely hope these are not added to configure.in/Makefile since
> >> they will completely break the build system for MacVim.  From what I
> >> gather it was not the OPs intention that these would be added, but I
> >> thought I'd mention it just in case...
> >
> > I did add a line in the Makefile, commented-out, to enable the carbon
> > GUI.  Somehow this was missing.
> >
> > The other changes are tiny, but please check if this conflicts with your
> > build.  The changes are in Mercurial now.
>
> This does not look good (in os_macosx.m):
>
> #if defined(FEAT_CLIPBOARD) && !defined(FEAT_GUI)
>
> It means the clipboard code will not get included when I compile
> MacVim (since it defines FEAT_GUI).  I think you meant FEAT_GUI_MAC,
> right?

Hmm, I suppose it's possible to compile with one of the X11 GUIs.  But
then there are the clip_mch_ functions in the X11 GUI files.  I thought
the ones in os_macosx.m were only used for the Mac console, when not
building with X11.

If MacVim does not define FEAT_GUI_MAC, what does it define?  If it's
FEAT_MACVIM we could use:

 #if defined(FEAT_CLIPBOARD) && (!defined(FEAT_GUI) || defined(FEAT_MACVIM))

> Actually, why not use the clipboard code from os_macosx.m when
> compiling the Carbon GUI as well?  As far as I can tell the code in
> gui_mac.c does not support blockwise copy...

That's too big of a change to make now.

> > I'm not sure if we want gui_mac.c to build on 10.6, your GUI should work
> > better, right?
>
> That's a BIG YES.  As far as MacVim vs. the Carbon GUI goes: MacVim is
> more complete in terms of Vim features (+client/server, +netbeans,
> +balloon_eval, ...), it is stable (Carbon is riddled with bugs), it
> comes with a proper help file, it is actively maintained, etc..  (The
> only feature Carbon has that MacVim doesn't (that I've ever heard
> anybody mention) is that Carbon GUI displays tabs in a drawer on the
> side of the GUI window, whereas MacVim uses "normal" style GUI
> tabs...)
>
> I cannot for the life of me understand why anybody would want to use
> the Carbon GUI still.  If anybody reading this insists that the Carbon
> GUI has some advantage over MacVim, tell me what it is and I'll fix
> it.

Well, I just wanted the source code to build.  It was clearly broken
before.

If there is any simple change to fix a clear problem, please let me
know.  I do have a Mac to try it out on, although it's not the latest,
running 10.5.  I haven't even tried on my old powerbook.

74. Your most erotic dreams are about cybersex