On 23 Mar 2011, at 13:51, Ben Schmidt wrote:

> On 23/03/11 11:18 PM, Barrie Stott wrote:
>> Is it possible to have more than a single form of spell checking? Can I use
>> en_gb for business letters and a new one, asdf, say, for computer
>> documentation, for example?
>>
>> Reading about spellfile gives the impression that more than a single
>> spellfile can be used but my current attempt is failing because I don't know
>> how to set up an empty asdf. Within MacVim I ran the command
>>      :setlocal spell spelllang=en_gb,asdf
>> and got an error message:
>>      Cannot find spell file for "asdf" in utf-8
>>
>> I 'touch'ed ~/.vim/spell/asdf.utf-8.add and got the message:
>>      Warning: Cannot find word list "comp.utf-8.spl" or "comp.ascii.spl"
>> and then touched ~/.vim/spell/asdf.utf-8.spl getting the message:
>>      Error detected while processing /Users/gbs/.vim/spell/comp.utf-8.spl:
>>      E757: This does not look like a spell file
>>
>> Can I have several forms of spell checking where some are home-grown and, if
>> so, how?
>
> :help spell-mkspell

Thanks for this, Ben. I'd read it before but there's so much information that
it didn't register with me that .spl is a compiled format. I've now compiled
~/.vim/spell/asdf.utf-8.spl from a virtually empty asdf.utf-8.add and did a bit
of spell checking. It seems to work but the new additions were put in the
directory from which I invoked mvim on the file to check. I reckon I'm close
now.

One thing still bothers me though. Why would I want to use gw? Who wants to
keep 'wrong' words?

I'm grateful for your help; it's amazing how useful the words ':help
spell-mkspell' can be!

Barrie.