After using the good old terminal vim for a while again I will give it
another shot. Thanks for all the suggestions/workarounds. The many tips to
work around the problems shows how versatile vim is. For me there were two
tips that made it work for me, so here the summary:

typing ctrl-g when text is selected makes it possible to do actions on the
selected text (not replacing it) (thanks to Kyle Lippincott)
And my final solution given by Tony Mechelynck, add the following to your
~/.gvimrc file:
   set selectmode=mouse,key
   set mousemodel=popup
   set keymodel=startsel
   set selection=inclusive
This returns the for me expected behaviour.

Thanks for the help!