On 24 November 2011 01:12, Fabien Cazenave wrote:
>> On 23 November 2011 09:28, Martin Lundberg wrote:
>>>
>>> Was this every implemented? I can't see anything about it in the help
>>> files.
>>> I would really want to have a way to use both of them as well. Using vim
>>> in
>>> terminal I can do this through iTerm2 but in MacVim I'm not sure how to
>>> do
>>> it.
>>
>> I never received a patch, so no, it has not been implemented (I will
>> not implement this myself since I have no use for it and my impression
>> was that not too many people were asking for it).
>
> Well, I haven't sent any patch because you didn't tell me what kind of pref
> you'd like to have for this meta/option key stuff -- or if you did, I didn't
> get it. :-/
>
> All I know is that a single, boolean, "macmeta" option won't be enough. I
> think we have to implement another option to define which key(s) should work
> as "Meta" instead of "Option" but I understood that you didn't want to have
> that kind of stuff in the code.
>
> Björn: if you tell me what option(s) you want for this, and if you can give
> me a couple pointers to get me started with the pref system in MacVim, I can
> try to borrow a Mac and work on this patch. If you think it's not worth the
> trouble, well... better tell me.

I did outline two methods which would be acceptable:

--- 8< ---
My suggestion was to have a user default, e.g.
MMWhichMeta with values 0=both (default), 1=left, 2=right.  This avoid
cluttering the core Vim source code (something I try hard to avoid)
and the patch would not require much source code.

Alternately turn 'macmeta' into a string option ("lr","l","r") but I
was under the impression that you'd once and for all decide which
option key works as meta and then set 'macmeta' on/off per buffer.  If
this is true then this alternative seems worse to me.
--- >8 ....

I think the fist alternative is preferable.  The second would break
backwards compatibility.  Sorry that I'm just quoting myself here, but
I don't think I can make it any clearer.

How to add new user defaults should not be hard to figure out.
However, if you are no longer using OS X it would probably be better
to let somebody else who is interested to implement this (hint
Martin).  It is preferable if people who send patches also are willing
(and able) to maintain them.

> BTW: MacVim is the only thing I really miss from the 12 months I've worked
> under OSX. Keep up the good work!

Thanks!

Björn