On Feb 11, 11:18 am, Jason Garber <j...@jasongarber.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone. I need your help figuring out a key mapping issue. I use
> the Dvorak-Qwerty (Dvorak for typing and Ctrl/Shift/Alt, but Cmd
> shortcuts are QWERTY) layout in OS X and have used regular vim in the
> terminal for years. I don't use a keymap or anything; hjkl are spread
> out over the keyboard. All this works fine in MacVim as it did in vim:
> <Ctrl-f>, <Ctrl-b>, <Ctrl-u>, and <Ctrl-d> take me forward, back, up
> and down.
>
> <Ctrl-w> and <Ctrl-v> don't work though. In MacVim they are located
> where you would find them on QWERTY. In the terminal (mvim -v) they
> work fine, like I'm used to. Also, when I switch OS X to the Dvorak
> layout, they work fine in MacVim.
>
> Anyone have some insight into this? I suppose for the time being I'll
> just need to figure out which ones are broken and remap them, like map
> <C-w> <C-,>

This would require you to hit whatever makes your keyboard generate
Ctrl-W in order to get Ctrl-, (which, BTW, is not defined) so there
are two reasons why it wouldn't work.

I suggest that you choose some F key (these, IIUC, are in the same
location on Dvorak and QWERTY keyboards) and map it to the Ctrl-W key,
as follows:

    :map  <F9> <C-W>
    :map! <F9> <C-W>

I used a similar mapping when I didn't know what key combination would
generate Ctrl-] on my keyboard (and now that I do know, I've kept the
mapping because that “native” key combo is difficult to produce).