I find it easier to use brew.

1) Install brew. http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

1.5) To make binaries installed by brew take precedence over other
binaries on your OS, make sure /usr/local/bin is at the front of your
path.  You can do this by adding this to your bashrc.

# Move (or Add) /usr/local/bin to the front of the path
[ -d /usr/local/bin ] && export PATH=$(echo /usr/local/bin:$PATH | sed
-e 's;:/usr/local/bin;;')

2) `brew install macvim` from a command line.  This installs to `/usr/
local`.  You can keep all of your brew installed formula (aka
applications) up to date with `brew upgrade` or just upgrade macvim
with `brew upgrade macvim`.

3) Create environment variables and aliases for macvim in your bashrc.
For example:

vim='mvim -v'
alias vim="${vim}"
alias gvim="mvim"
export EDITOR="${vim} -g --remote-tab-silent"
export GIT_EDITOR="${vim} -g -f"

Note: I create the vim environment variable because I use it multiple
times...
Note: the terminal version of vim is also included with macvim.  It's
newer than the vim that comes with OS X, and it includes support for
ruby and python plugins.
Note: `mvim` is added to /usr/local/bin by brew...

Darcy