On 27 Nov 2012, at 20:32, Chris Lott wrote:
> **Problem**
>
> I am trying to use Vim as the git core.editor -- no matter what I do,
> I get "cannot allocate color" messages.
>
> I've tried setting the git core.editor (using --replace-all) to vim,
> mvim, vim -U NONE -u NONE, mvim -u NONE -U NONE, etc.

I don't what the problem is, but as a shot in the dark:

I set the EDITOR variable in my environment to the full path to MacVim's
executable.

    export EDITOR=/Applications/MacVim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim

I don't have GIT_EDITOR set, nor core.editor, nor VISUAL.

Do you have anything configured in the color section of your git config?

Yours,
Andy Stewart