On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 7:42:43 AM UTC+1, Kevin Burke wrote:
> So I used binary search to track down the issue and narrowed it to this line
> in my vimrc:
>

> set rtp+=$GOROOT/misc/vim
>

> If $GOROOT is not set, vim gets very slow (for me 'Starting GUI' takes about
> 5.5 seconds). Otherwise macvim boots in about half a second, which isn't
> great, but is fast enough for me.
>

> I can produce more info if it'll be useful for debugging but you'll have to
> show me how.

Try

    if $GOROOT != ""
        set rtp+=$GOROOT/misc/vim
    endif

Or else, use the standard directories ($HOME/.vim and $HOME/.vim/after for
user-private scripts, $VIM/vimfiles and $VIM/vimfiles/after for system-wide
scripts not distributed with Vim, and $VIMRUNTIME — at the moment, normally
$VIM/vim74 — for ONLY the files that come with Vim). These are the
'runtimepath' default. On Unix-like OSes, $VIM is usually /usr/local/share/vim
but it may vary a little from one installation to the next; one factor may be
whether you compiled Vim yourself or got it from the same source as your OS.

One way to "have it both ways" if you don't need _different_ scripts in
$GOROOT/misc/vim and $HOME/.vim is to symlink the latter to the former on
installations where $GOROOT is defined.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"The devout are always urged to seek the absolute
 truth with their hearts and not their minds."

---