On May 30, 2014, at 23:50, Charles Campbell <charles.e.campb...@nasa.gov> wrote:

> Kazunobu Kuriyama wrote:
>> On May 30, 2014, at 3:01, Charles Campbell <charles.e.campb...@nasa.gov>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I'm able to compile vim on the mac -- but not gvim.
>>>
>>> I suspect its due to missing libraries.  As is, when I try  vim -g
>>>
>>> E25: GUI cannot be used; Not enabled at compile time
>>>
>>> * how can I know what libraries I need to get onto the mac to get a gvim?
>>> I need to know ahead of time because I don't have admin privileges on the
>>> machine, and so need to tell the admin what to do.
>>> * if its not simply libraries, what configuration do I need?  To start
>>> with, I've been trying  configure --with-features=huge --enable-gui=yes
>> Can you try to add --disable-darwin to the options above and build vim with
>> the resulting Makefile?
>>
>> That way, if XQuartz.app (X11.app) has been installed normally on the Mac,
>> the configure script should automatically detect X11 and GUI toolkits on the
>> Mac and build gvim, at least the one which is linked to the legacy Athena
>> library.
>>
>> Actually, I can build gvim with Athena, Motif, gtk+-2 that way.  FYI, Motif
>> and gtk+2 library were installed through MacPorts.
>>
> Thank you for the help!
>
> Vim now compiles and links successfully.  However, a new problem appears: it
> issues a number of warnings and then crashes.  Looks like an "X" problem:
>
> Used:  vim -g -u NONE -N
>
> Warning:
>  Name: subMenu
>  Class: XmCascadeButton
>  Illegal mnemonic character: Could not convert X KEYSYM to a keycode

I also get these warnings at gvim's startup.  It's really annoying, and, as the
warnings indicate, some of the mnemonics are insensible and the shortcuts are
seemingly all ignored.  I'm not sure which is responsible for that, Vim or
Motif.  But the menu system itself works fine if it is activated through mouse
button clicking.

> dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _XftDrawCreate
>  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/libXm.4.dylib
>  Expected in: flat namespace
> Vim: Caught deadly signal TRAP
> Vim: Finished.
> Trace/BPT trap

Since Vim doesn't refer to any symbol of the Xft library directly, I think the
cause of the problem is due to the Motif on your computer.

As a first step for fix, do

        $ otool -L /path/to/libXm.dylib

on a terminal and check if the path to libXft.?.dylib is exactly the place at
which Xft is installed on the computer. If there're contradictions between the
paths,  the cause of the problem is tracked back to the configure/make process
of the Motif.

(I'm assuming you desperately need to use Motif.  Otherwise, I'd like to
recommend fully functional gtk2-gvim.)

Regards,
Kazunobu Kuriyama

> Regards,