> How familiar are you with editing in vim? vimdiff file1 file2 is nothing more
> than shorthand for vim -d file1 file2. One can also achieve the same just by
> vertically splitting a window and loading different buffers in each window
> and then running command :diffthis on each window.
> The other window would be the one not being actively edited. ‘do’ is a normal
> mode operation which is equivalent to the command mode :diffget which just
> means make the current buffer (the one being actively edited) line the same
> as the other buffer. ‘dp’ and :diffput are the operations for making the
> non-active buffer line the same as the current buffer line. Hope this helps
> to clarify.

Thanks for these clarifications.
I still don’t understand what ‘do’ “other buffer” means in the context of more
than 2 buffers, but I will look into it.
I found out about diffget today, and ‘[c’, ‘]c’.  I also learned a bit about
how VIM syntax colorizes the various areas to represent conflicts vs
differences, and how to navigate quickly through a diff in order to assess
changes.  In a larger file this still seems tricky to me, but I probably just
need to get used to the flow.

Thanks much,
jml

---