On 5/4/17 12:48, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
  On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 6:41 AM, Alla <vitale.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 5/3/17 21:12, Tony Mechelynck wrote:
On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 7:54:10 AM UTC+2, Yongwei Wu wrote:
On 3 May 2017 at 13:11, Alla <vitale.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
Nowadays most teachers let lefties write with their right hand, they think
they have better things to learn than which hand to put the pen in. By
forcing yourself to use always hjkl and never ←↓↑→ you are figuratively (and
voluntarily) putting yourself into the position of one of these "forced
lefties" of 85 years ago. Good luck!

I don't agree that this is a good comparison: being a left-handed person is
a natural feature, while anything one does in Vim is a matter of acquiring a
certain skill - mental and physical.
Well, in one case you acquire certain mental and physical skills with
Vim, in other cases you acquire mental and physical skills with a pen.
The only difference I see is that being left-handed is congenital,
possibly even innate, while preferring to use ←↓↑→ over hjkl is
acquired — you probably hadn't even met hjkl before you started using
Vim.

I still think — together with Yongwei Wu, another old-timer — that one
should not artificially restrict oneself not to use some particular
abilities of Vim. But, well, you want to learn to "write" with the
"hand" you don't feel most at ease with, it's your problem, go ahead.

Tony, I came here for an advice, and I am happy I got it, and I did heed to it. :-) If not the help from Yongwei Wu, I wouldn't know that it's all right to use such things as arrow keys. Time and practice will help me to get a better understanding
about the tools.

Best regards,
Tony.

--