Thank you for your reply, Tony. I didn't mean to imply that the mouse
doesn't work beautifully, it does and I'm constantly amazed by the power of
Vim.

Having tinkered with this for a couple hours, and read what I can find in
the manual, I think the problem is that when 'set mouse=' there are two
different things that can be called the "selection": you can select using
the Vim commands (eg vw) or using the mouse (eg double-left-click). When
you hit command-C MacVim will copy the Vim-command-selection to the system
clipboard but not the mouse-selection (presumably the same with gvim and
control-C in Windows and X)

I tried unmapping command-C, hoping that would let the system process it,
but MacVim still processes it (eg in insert, control-v command-c then
results in the text "<D-c>")

p.s. For completeness, I tested with no .vimrc with the same results.

---