Thank you, Yee Cheng Chin!

Yes, putting the same contents inside ~./vimrc worked:

set nu
set ruler
set rulerformat=%l\:%c
set autoindent
syntax on
set nocompatible
set t_Co=256
set tabstop=4
set laststatus=2
set encoding=utf-8

if has("gui_running")
  if has("gui_gtk2")
    set guifont=Inconsolata\ 12
  elseif has("gui_macvim")
    set guifont=JetBrains\ Mono\ Regular:h14
  elseif has("gui_win32")
    set guifont=Consolas:h11:cANSI
  endif
endif

colorscheme pencil

set background=light
let g:airline_theme = 'pencil'

call plug#begin('~/.vim/plugged')
Plug 'itchyny/lightline.vim'
Plug 'preservim/nerdtree'
call plug#end()

map <C-t> :NERDTreeToggle<CR>

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 9:15 AM Rod Hoon <r...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Hi, James--
>
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 5:35 PM James Dekker <james.dek...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> My When I try to load it using either:
>>
>> . .gvimrc
>>
>> or
>>
>> source .gvimrc
>>
>> It outputs the following error:
>>
>> -bash: .gvimrc: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `('
>> -bash: .gvimrc: line 4: `call plug#begin('~/.vim/plugged')'
>>

> The error looks like it is caused by running ". .gvimrc" or "source
> .gvimrc" at the Bash command prompt.
> If you want to source the gvimrc, you should probably do "source ~/.gvimrc"
> or "source $MYGVIMRC" at the : prompt inside Vim.
>
> On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 12:31 AM Yee Cheng Chin <ychin.mac...@gmail.com>
> advised:
>
>> You probably want to put the plug initializations in your vimrc instead
>> of gvimrc. gvimrc should only be for GUI specific options.
>>

> I'm not a Vim expert, so this is a guess: Putting the plug initialization
> in vimrc  may help, because vimrc and gvimrc are run at different points in
> the startup process.
>
> --
> --
>
> ---