On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 04:20:05PM EST, Christian Brabandt wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Di, 15 Dez 2009, Christian Brabandt wrote:
>
> > đ)I changed your function to save and restore cursor position.
> > ē)http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1530

> Grml, thouse were supposed to be footnotes. Don't know, why mutt
> mangled this mail back to latin1, it was supposed to be in an utf8
> encoding.

I think I accidentally reproduced this when posting on another vim_use
thread whose subject is something like 'printing with UTF-8 characters
from Windows'.

What happened was that I replied to the OP in mutt, but before I hit 'y'
to send the message, I thought of something I wanted to correct or add,
hit 'e' to edit, and was confronted by an absolute mess where my
non-ASCII stuff was concerned.

I checked mutt's idea of the encoding and it said something like
'text/plain, 7bit, iso-8859-1'. After twiddling a bit, I managed to
convince Vim to convert my message back to UTF-8, wrote it to a temp
file, started over and copied the temp file back into my reply and this
time when I got to the compose/send screen in mutt, the message was
correctly reported as 'text/plain, 8bit, UTF-8.

Since the thread was about someone experiencing problems with encodings,
what I assume is that I did change something manually, while replying,
possibly I did a 'set fenc=latin1, or possibly cp1252.. don't remember
exactly, and forgot to set it back to UTF-8 before posting.

On the other hand, since I had no reason to do anything like this with
my other garbled message, it looks like there may be some form of
miscommunication between mutt and Vim at some point or other. I assume
that my locale, which is set to UTF-8, is used by default when mutt
decodes the message I am responding to, and that iconv is used to
convert the message before it is passed on to Vim, and that mutt keeps
track of this pending my :wq. When I finish editing, mutt creates the
content header, adjusting it to reflect whatever change I may have made
while editing.

Just wondering if anything in the above speculations might be confirmed
by something you might remember happened at the time you posted the
message where your footnote superscripts got messed up?

At this point, I'm not sure looking at the code would help, unless we
manage to determine a pattern and are able to reproduce.

Thanks,

CJ