George V. Reilly wrote:

> > I regularily build my on Vim using VS 2008.
> >
> > I have just been upgraded to Windows 7 64bit and am beginning to set it up.
> >
> > Seems you always have to choose if you want (or can use) the 32bit
> > version of software or find a 64bit version.
> >
> > Now, since I build my own Vim, I guess I can get VS 2008 to build me a
> > 64bit version of Vim.
> > Here are my problems:
> >
> > 1.  I use Perl plugins daily (Perl64 exists).
> > 2.  I use Python 2.5 (not that often, but a few plugins which use it),
> > I am not certain if a 64 bit version of this exists.
> > 3.  All my other plugins written in VimScript should of course be fine.
> >
> > Even if I can compile my Vim using the 64bit Perl version, I am not
> > certain if my perl modules have 64bit versions, or should that all be
> > resolved when I simply install them?  Or do the authors have to make
> > 64bit changes to make them work in the first place?
> >
> > Just looking for some feedback on what others have done on the 64bit
> > versions of Windows which are available these days.
> >

> I'm the maintainer of http://code.google.com/p/vim-win3264/. The main reason
> for the existence of the Win64 version is Explorer integration. You have to
> have a 64-bit version of gvimext.dll on Win64, so that you can right-click
> in Explorer and get Vim-related commands. The other reason for the Win64
> version is my quixotic quest to make Vim run cleanly on Win64. It's hard to
> imagine anyone truly needing >4GB for their Vim process address space.
>
> The actual (g)vim.exe binary doesn't need to be 64-bit. Win32 binaries run
> fine on Win64. Indeed, it's simpler to build a 32-bit (g)vim.exe, as all the
> language DLLs need to be available in 64-bit flavors too. The only language
> that I know for sure works as a native Win64 DLL is Python 2.6. Even that
> has problems if you're trying to run Python C extensions, since you have to
> figure out how to get a Win64 build of the C extension. I gave up the last
> time I tried. I'm using the 32-bit version of Python 2.6 on Win64.  (I think
> the Win64 support in Python 2.5 is not recommended.)
>
> I tried to build Vim with Ruby 1.9 DLL support earlier this month. I
> abandoned the effort when I realized that the MinGW headers included with
> Ruby 1.9 weren't going to compile with the MSVC compiler.
>
> I've never tried to get a 64-bit version of Perl running with Win64 Vim.
>
> I think a better solution would be a smarter Windows installer for Vim which
> included Win32 and Win64 copies of gvimext.dll and a Win32 gvim.exe, that
> installed the appropriate flavor of the shell extension DLL.

That sounds like the best way to go.  Does NSIS have a feature to detect
Windows being 32 or 64 bit?  Then we should be able to install the right
version of gvimext.dll.

I hope we can make this work soon, after changing the Windows installer
it should be tested properly.

--
A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time