Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 07/08/10 21:02, Dominique Pell=C3=A9 wrote:
> [...]
> > Hi Tony
> >
> > How about putting somewhere 2 screenshots:
> > - screenshot of Vim with wrong behavior
> > - screenshot of Vim (or other application) with expected behavior
> >
> > It would make it simpler to understand the problem.
> >
> > Cheers
> > -- Dominique
> >

> I was just doing that when I found this post: I found out that I can
> make both "good" and "bad" behaviour happen in Vim. The same text is
> displayed each time; the "points of interest" are the acute accents over
> Russian text. (The acute accents over French text, and the "short" sign
> over the letter й, are not combining).
>
> 1) Good (well, not perfect but almost, see below) behaviour with gvim,
> and :set gfn=Courier\ New\ 16 :
> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/courier.png -- the display
> of non-Italic Cyrillic is perfect, in italic Cyrillic the accents are
> too far to the left, at the boundary with the preceding letter; all in
> all the result is acceptable.
>
> 2) Bad (very bad) with :set gfn=Bitstream\ Vera\ Sans\ Mono\ 16 :
> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/bitstream.png : notice
> that some spacing letters are overprinted, some are displayed off by one
> or more cells sideways of where they ought to be, making the total
> length of the display lines to be shorter than normal, with blank
> fill-in at the right margin. It seems that every acute accent causes an
> overprint between the letter over which it should be and the letter to
> its right. The accent itself is displayed above-left of these two
> overprinted spacing letters.
>
> 3) The same text in Bitstream Vera Sans Mono of a different size (8):
> here, the text is displayed correctly except that all accents are
> shifted to the right, almost to the boundary between their vowel and the
> next character:
> http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/bitstr8.png - this is
> acceptable but not very good; the errors happen in both italic and
> non-italic Cyrillic; they are in the opposite direction to those in
> Courier New 16 italic.

I'm still struggling to see what is wrong.  Please, instead of a long
text give me a few characters or one word.  I need to original utf-8
text and a screenshot of how it looks right.  Any language will do, so
long as it's easy to tell the accent apart from the base character.
In Arabic this is quite difficult.  Also, right-to-left text has its own
problems.

Also, there are a lot of variations.  Both in the version of the GTK
libraries and the fonts.  I thought the accents on ASCII characters were
working fine, but with my current GTK version they were positioned a
full character too far to the left.  Or perhaps it's caused by the font
that is now used by default.  That needs to be fixed.

With non-monospaced fonts we may never get it right, since we are doing
things pango wasn't made for.  But for monospaced fonts it should work.

Ah, I just found a sequence that displays wrong for me:
〜̈ e ̈a ̈o ̈.  Putting an accent on a space doesn't appear to work.
OK, I fixed that.  Please try the latest version.

10. Ask people what sex they are. Laugh hysterically after they answer.