On 07/08/10 17:24, Aljosa Mohorovic wrote:
under kde i can't get vim to maximize like other windows.
if i understood correctly this is because vim calculates space font
occupies and it resizes window to match font space.
is there a way to tell vim to ignore font space and just maximize
window even if it will display only half of character/font?

Aljosa Mohorovic

Hm, using
        :set lines=99 columns=999

will "almost" maximize gvim, to maybe one character cell of the screen borders (gvim recomputes 'lines' and 'columns' to what is available). Then, click the square icon near the right end of the titlebar. This will "really" maximize gvim. But it will not crop the font: there may be an empty half-line or so left unused inside the bottom of the gvim window. The advantage is that from then on (and with recent versions of GTK2 gvim, at least), if you change 'guifont' to set a larger *or smaller* font, the gvim screen will remain maximized, decreasing *or increasing* 'lines' and 'columns' to what the new font size allows. Or at least that's what I see under Gnome.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not
signed.