On Aug 14, 1:46 am, "John Beckett" <johnb.beck...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You have had some "probably not" replies, so let me be more
> definite. You are talking about Windows command prompt, where
> you can right-click a command prompt title bar and choose
> Properties, Options tab, "QuickEdit Mode".
>
> The whole point of QuickEdit Mode is that the operating system
> will handle mouse events, and will NOT pass them to the
> application runnning in the command prompt window. There is
> NOTHING an application like Vim can do to use the mouse under
> those conditions.
>
> You can make a Windows shortcut that opens command prompt with
> QuickEdit mode off, and makes the window the size you want, and
> uses something like Ctrl-Alt-V to open, then do all your editing
> there (other command prompts can have QuickEdit mode on).
>
> BTW using gvim is better once you choose a suitable color scheme
> and get used to it.

Thank you John, that is clear.

1/ However, as a user, I see that a "QuickEdit mode" command prompt
windows behaves more or less like all unix terminals (plus Mintty in
Cygwin). With these terminals, mouse selection is active at the
command prompt (allowing quick copy/paste of file names), but these
terminals are able to give back mouse control to Vim when the later is
launched inside the terminal with "set mouse=a".

Why is Windows "QuickEdit mode" command prompt unable to do the same?
That seems incredible.

2/ Thank you for the tips. However using multiple consoles is
complicated for me (see below).

3/ I use Windows command prompt to launch Cygwin ssh to connect to a
distant unix server over a slow ADSL connection. In these conditions,
Vim is quick if it launched in the original command prompt.
Of course, I could launch gvim if I connect with ssh -X (with XWin
active), but as you know, X11 is very, very slow on Mbps range
connections.
That the reason why I am bound to console Vim (which colors I like,
except the blue) and why I would like to have both the comfort of
QuickEdit mode and mouse control in Vim.

BTW, I found recently that doing the same with Mintty yields all the
desired features.

The reason of my thread is that I was amazed that it was not possible
with cmd console (which is the default console in Cygwin).

Best regards

Jean Johner