Brett Stahlman wrote:

> I've noticed that Vim displays the "NO-BREAK SPACE" character (Unicode
> 00A0) incorrectly for several single-byte encodings (e.g., cp437, cp850
> and cp775), which typically encode it as 0xFF.
>
> To reproduce...
> :set enc=cp850
> Enter the following 2 lines in an empty buffer...
> <ff>2345
> 12345
> ...where <ff> represents the character at code point 0xff, entered with
> CTRL-V.
>
> The non-breaking space is displayed normally (like a regular space
> character) until the cursor is moved onto it, whereupon the cursor
> becomes 4 characters wide, covering (and effectively erasing) all but
> the "5" on the first row. The covered characters are not redrawn when
> the cursor is moved down a row with j. If you then use CTRL-L to redraw,
> the covered characters are redrawn, but shifted rightward from their
> original location. Move the cursor back up to the line with the
> non-breaking space, then move it left and right, and you'll see the
> characters redrawn in the 2 different spots, sometimes simultaneously.

Vim probably doesn't know that 0xff is a space or any special character.
After setting the 'encoding', you also need to set 'isprint'.

If you set 'isprint' properly, does the problem go away?

--
ARTHUR:    Well, it doesn't matter.  Will you go and tell your master that
           Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here.