>> There is also the question how you get text edited with vim into some format
>> you can submit. vim isn't particularly good at editing text with no hard
>> line breaks (tw=0), i.e. "soft wrap". In order to get some text formatting
>> into e.g. Word, most likely requires the use of some command line tool that
>> converts the text to something Word can read. I'm not sure such tools are
>> easy to use for somebody who has never written a single line of code.
>
> Thanks, Tom. I've wondered about that. Lack of word wrap is a concern.

You can compose plain text in Vim so that each paragraph is a single `physical'
line (Vim will still form as many screen lines as needed to fit the
text in).  When
you are finished, Word (or whatever so called word processor) will take care of
formatting (word-wrapping, hyphenation etc.) automatically, as it will see each
line-paragraph as a true paragraph.

Another option is to port your Vim-prepared text to LyX (http://lyx.org) instead
of to a more traditional word processor.

LyX, like Vim, has an excellent documentation, and is an excellent document
preparation system.  In addition, you will not need to adhere to the
one-paragraph-
one-line rule while in Vim.